This past weekend while visiting with friends, I assisted our close friend who fell in her kitchen on the way back from the garage to retrieve an item from her refrigerator. When I walked in she was flat on her back on the kitchen floor. Her foot was caught underneath the storm door. The room was pitch dark. Think what could have happened if she was home alone.
Fortunately she was not hurt. The simple lesson here is that fall prevention starts at home. Turning on the lights is a cheap and easy way to see where you are going and prevent falls and serious injuries.