Reporting Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
If you suspect that your loved one is being abused or is not receiving the care needed, there is something you can do about it.
- Ask the nursing home. Talk to the nursing home administrator. The nursing home is required by law to respond to and investigate all complaints.
- Call an Ombudsman. Contact a local Ombudsman, who will advocate for resident rights. The National Long-Term Care Ombudsman Resource Center has a list of Michigan Ombudsman by county.
- File a complaint. File a complaint with the Complaint Investigation Unit within the Bureau of Health Systems (BHS). This Unit is responsible for investigating complaints against nursing homes. A complaint can be made in any of the following ways:
- Online. Complete and submit the complaint online using the BHS Health Facility Online Complaint Form.
- Phone. Call the toll-free Complaint Hotline: 1-800-882-6006
- Mail or fax. Mail or fax a completed Nursing Home Complaint Form.
- Call a lawyer. Contact an experienced nursing home abuse and neglect attorney at our firm who specializes in these types of cases: 1-800-366-8653.
Search Nursing Home Citations
The decision to place a parent or a loved one in a nursing home or care facility is not an easy one. Find out if the facility you are interested in has been cited by the State of Michigan. Enter a Nursing Home to find out if it has been cited by the State: