logos

Nursing Home Resident Injured With 2nd Degree Burns

On November 22, 2011 a resident received 2nd degree burns from spilling soup on himself during mealtime at Metron Nursing Home in Belding, MI. He was left unattended in the dining room, though his care plan specifically states that at least one person assists him with meals. The resident has a history of spilling liquid on himself, and is diagnosed with partial blindness and short and long term memory loss.  Other mishaps on the staff’s part  exacerbated the situation;  the soup served to the resident was too hot at 206 degrees (liquids should not be served over 180 degrees) and the burn was not treated immediately with cool water. The aide on duty tried to clean the soup up with a towel until a nurse intervened.