FAILURE TO REPORT CHOKING
We are preparing to file suit on behalf of the family of a victim of nursing home abuse and neglect. Despite being placed on a pureed diet to avoid choking, she was provided with chopped up meat causing her to choke to death. More shocking about this incident was the total failure on the part of the nursing home in Warren, Michigan to report the incident to the State. When the State ultimately investigated the matter, the Administrator advised the surveyor that he “lost track of it.” The Director of Nursing advised the surveyor that the incident seemed to fall through the cracks because the facility “went through a bad spell right after this.”
The inexcusable death of a nursing home resident whose dietary needs were ignored and the failure to report this tragedy to the State demonstrates how much risk there is for nursing home residents in Michigan.